Proxy server is a system or router that provides ports between users and internet. Therefore, it helps prevent network attackers from entering private networks. It is a server, called “middleman”, because it is between the end user and the website they visit online.
When a computer connects to the internet, it uses an IP address. This is similar to the street address of your home. It indicates the destination of the incoming data and marks the outgoing data with the return address for authentication by other devices. The proxy server is basically a computer with its own IP address on the Internet.
Proxy server and network security
Agents provide a valuable layer of security for your computer. They can be set as network filters or firewalls to protect your computer from Internet threats such as malware.
This additional security feature is also valuable when used in conjunction with security gateways or other e-mail security products. In this way, you can filter the traffic according to the security of the traffic or the traffic that the network or personal computer can handle.
How do I use a proxy? Some people use agents for personal purposes, such as hiding their position when watching online movies. However, for companies, they can be used to complete some key tasks, such as:
- Improve security.
- Protect employees’ internet activities from attacks by people trying to track them.
- Balance internet traffic to prevent crashes.
- Control staff and staff access to the website in the office.
- Save bandwidth by storing files or compressing incoming traffic.
How the agent works?
Because the proxy server has its own IP address, it acts as the intermediary between the computer and the Internet. Your computer knows this address. When you send a request on the internet, it will be forwarded to the proxy. The proxy will receive the response from the web server and forward the page data to the browser on the computer, such as Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.
How to get an agent?
There are hardware and software versions. Hardware connections are located between the network and the internet. they receive, send and forward data from the web. Software agents are typically hosted by vendors or located in the cloud. You can download and install applications on your computer to support interaction with agents.
Generally, you can get the software agent at a monthly fee. Sometimes they are free. Free versions often provide users with fewer addresses and can only contain multiple devices, while paid agents can meet the needs of enterprises with multiple devices.
How is the server set up?
To start using a proxy server, you must configure it on your computer, device, or network. Each operating system has its own setup process, so please check the steps required by the computer or network.
However, in most cases, setup means using automatic configuration scripts. If you want to execute it manually, you can choose to enter the appropriate IP address and port.
How does the agent protect the privacy and data of the computer?
The proxy server performs the functions of firewall and filter. End users or network administrators can choose agents designed to protect data and privacy. This checks the data entering and exiting the computer or network. Then, it will apply rules to prevent you from disclosing your digital address to people. Only the proxy IP address will be seen by hackers or other bad people. Without your personal IP address, everyone on the Internet cannot directly access your personal data, calendar, applications or files.
With it, web requests will be moved to the proxy, and then the proxy will access and receive the content you want from the internet. If the server has encryption function, passwords and other personal data will receive additional protection layer.
Benefits of proxy server?
Agents have many advantages that can bring advantages to your business:
- Enhanced security: It can act as a firewall between the system and the internet. Without them, hackers can easily access your IP address. They can use this address to access your computer or network.
- Browse, watch, listen and shop in private mode: use different agents to help you avoid being overwhelmed by unwanted advertisements or IP-specific data collection. With proxy, the web browser is well protected and cannot be tracked.
- Access location-specific content: You can specify a proxy server whose address is associated with other countries. In fact, you can make it look like you are in that country and have full access to all the content that the computer in that country is allowed to interact with. For example, this technology may allow you to open location-constrained websites using the local IP address of the location you want to display.
- Prevent employees from browsing inappropriate or distracting websites: You can use it to prevent access to websites that violate organizational guidelines. In addition, you can block websites that usually distract employees from important tasks. Some organizations have blocked Facebook and other social media sites to eliminate the temptation to waste time.